I now have a better perspective on the differences between Canada and the USA. These variations are not dramatic, but they are interesting. In an effort to discourage anyone still reading this blog, I will write a series of posts about these contrasts.
In the US, there are car washes everywhere:
- Do it yourself - a bay with pressure washer and vacuum cleaner, $5-10
- Drive through - usually part of a gas station, $5-10.
- Full service - lots of these, usually has a good drive through wash process followed by personal window washing, vacuum, tire cleaning. Usually costs 20 to $40.
Canadians seem to view car washes as an expensive unneeded extravagance. There are some drive through washes at gas stations in the suburbs, but not many. Full service car washes are few and far between and charge at least $50 for interior and exterior service. They know this is a lot of money for a car wash so they usually call it "detailing".
In the US, there are plenty of golf courses ranging from low cost converted cow pastures to hand manicured world famous $300 a round facilities. A few things are common:
- Lots of power carts. Walking is not common unless it is a short course.
- Lots of balls in the bushes. People don't worry much if they lose a ball.
- Mid to high range courses always have a beverage cart driven by a good looking young lady in Daisy Duke shorts and a tight low cut T shirt.
In Canada, there are plenty of golf courses ranging from low cost converted cow pastures to very nice resort facilities (nothing really famous). A few things are common:
- Not many power carts at courses that charge less than $75 a round. Canadians want to save money and get some exercise.
- Almost no balls in the bushes. Canadians consider a great round of golf to be one where you end up with more balls than when you started because you scoured the bushes between shots.
- Only high range courses always have a beverage cart driven by a good looking young lady in Daisy Duke shorts and a tight low cut T shirt. Less expensive courses will sell you some cans of beer before your round and you can carry them with you.